Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Miss A's Updated Natural Hair Care Routine

*Miss A's Hair Care Routine          
I have been getting a lot of questions about Miss A's current hair care routine and how her hair has retained so much length since starting the blog back in 2009 so I thought I would do an updated hair care routine post for you all. It has been such a long journey and so much trial and error and I believe I finally know what works for my daughters hair (and my budget!) I hope you find this information helpful!

*Washing & Detangling                  
I shampoo A's hair and scalp once a week. I cowash after each swim during the Summer months. I apply small amount of shampoo to the tips of my fingers (about the size of a quarter) and gently massage her scalp, working my way over her hair. I'm not too picky when it comes to shampoo, as long as it's sulfate free. Below is a small list of shampoos I've used.
Now the most important step when it comes to Miss A's curls, detangling! After rinsing the shampoo I apply a very generous amount of conditioner on soaking wet hair. If her hair is not dripping wet I run the handheld shower head over her hair and immediately apply the conditioner because her hair soaks up the water. I like to use a cheap drug store conditioner since I use so much and it's only going to be rinsed out anyway. I look for a creamy conditioner with a lot of slip. I've been using V05 conditioner lately and I must say, it gets the job done! See below for pictures and more info on how I detangle my daughters hair.

Here is Miss A's hair completely wet and loaded up with V05 conditioner. As you can see it's very tangled!

The first step to detangling is to finger detangle! Never skip this step! I smooth my fingers over sections of her hair, if they feel "lumpy" I will focus on that section and gently pull apart the strands of hair. If the strands of hair (or knots/tangles) are not coming apart easily I will rewet the section, add some more conditioner, and gently try to work my way through it. I do not snap the hair apart, which causes unnecessary breakage.

After finger detangling I use a Denman brush starting at the ends and slowly working my way up just to be sure the section is completely detangled. 

This section is all detangled! You can see the difference between the detangled section and the section in the back.

After detangled each 2-3 inch section I do a large twist so the hair does not tangle back up as I'm detangled the rest.

Once Miss A's hair is completely detangled I leave the twists in and rinse the conditioner out.

After washing Miss A's hair I get her dressed and remove each twist/braid, one at a time, and apply a generous amount of Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer to each section from root to tip on wet/damp hair. 

After applying Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer to each section I will either twist, braid or band each section to stretch it out for styling the next day unless I plan on letting her wear her curls out.

Braided or banded after moisturizing: (old pics)

Still not sure what banding is? Check out our Banding F.A.Q. post!

If I want Miss A to wear her natural curls out I will apply either Kinky Curly Curling Custard or Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer to her wet hair. I rake the product through with my fingers, no losing brushing through. I  personally think the curls look better using the raking method. Be on the look out for a post better explaining it!

Interested in Bee Mine Products? We still have a reader discount code, good for 10% off your purchase! See below for details and click the image to take you to their website.


Bee Mine Products
Use *NEW* discount code: 15BBBSUM to receive 10% off your Bee Mine Products ($15 minimum) purchase.
*Styling                                               
How often? How long do styles last? How to care for styles while they are in? Products used? etc.

I believe protective styling is one of the reasons Miss A has retained so much length over the years. I really prefer for her hair to stay in protective styles but with everything going on (Miss A's epilepsy, Lil Man autism, my weight loss journey- NikGetsFit, etc) it's been tough getting back into a styling routine.

I like for Miss A's hair to be styled at least 2 or 3 weeks of each month. The longer the style lasts, the better.

How long do styles last?

  • Updos - Usually no more than 1 week.
  • Cornrows - Between 1 and 3 weeks, depending on the style.
  • Twists - If they are large, no more than 1 week. If they are small, they can last up to 4 weeks if cared for properly.
  • Single/box braids - Between 2 and 6 weeks, depending on the size.
What is protective styling?
Protective styling simply means styling the hair to protect it from everyday elements. Whether it's being handled too often, combed too much, rubbing against clothes, etc. All of this can lead to breakage. 

A few examples of protective styles:
Two Strand Twists with Braided Roots Pulled into High Bun 
Click here for more information and pictures
Small Cornrows into Large Cornrows
Click here for more information and pictures
Side Swept Two Strand Twists into Side Bun
Click here for more information and pictures
Look in the right side bar under find posts and click "protective styles" for more examples of use the search bar. You can also check out our Style Gallery on Facebook.

Caring for hair while styles are in:
If Miss A is wearing a hair style that will be in for a while (such as mini braids), I continue with our regular washing routine. I will shampoo her scalp once a week and apply conditioner, letting it sit for a few minutes before rinsing. Afterwards I will moisturize, focusing on her edges, nape and ends.

Products used for styling:
I almost always use Bee Mine Curly Butter when styling Miss A's hair in braids, twists and cornrows. When styling hair for twist outs or braid outs I use whatever I have on hand whether it be Bee Mine Curly Butter or Curls Whipped Cream. See below for a complete list of products.

What about rubberbands?
When styling A's hair, I try not to use styles that require rubberbands or anything at the base of ends to avoid breakage. I can't always avoid rubberbands though so when we do decide to use them I dip them in Extra Virgin Coconut oil and make sure the area I am applying the rubberband is extra moisturize. When using rubberbands I'm careful not to wrap them too tightly. I avoid keeping rubberbands or ponytail holders in her hair for a long period of time. I don't feel comfortable leaving rubberbands or ponytail holders in her hair more than a few days, sometimes I will go up to a week but that's rare. When I use ponytail holders I only use Goody Ouchless Cloth covered ones without metal.

still adding more info.

*Curl Definition                                
Miss A has been wearing her curls out a lot lately and I have been getting so many questions about what products I use and how I get her curls so defined so I'll just give you our basic routine when I'm styling her curls.

I have finally found out the secret to beautiful curl definition- RAKING the product through with your fingers into of brushing/combing! Pretty simple, right?

First I have to figure out what look we're going for that day, very defined elongated curls or big fluffy careless curls?

For defined elongated curls: Immediately after washing and detangling Miss A's hair I apply a very generous amount of Kinky Curly Curling Custard to a 2-3 inch section of her hair. I make sure her hair is soaking wet. If her hair is not soaking wet I spray it with the handheld shower head. I run the product through the section of hair with my fingers. I make sure every curl is completely coated with KCCC. I continue this process until I am done. Her hair takes a long time to dry with the Kinky Curly Curling Custard in her hair so I get her dressed and keep a towel on her shoulders for a while. Once her hair is dry (or almost dry) it looks like this:




For big fluffy care free curls: On wet/damp hair I apply a generous amount of Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer and run my fingers all through Miss A's completely detangled hair. I rake the moisturizer through with my fingers, fluff a little and leave it until it dries. It doesn't take very long. Afterwards her curls look like this:



will add more soon
*Products                                           
Here is a list of products I like. There will be a star * next to the ones I must have available.

Shampoo:
Note: I'm not too picky when it comes to shampoo. As long as it's sulfate free and doesn't strip her hair then it's fine by me! 

Conditioner:

Note: Since I use so much conditioner, I really prefer to go the cheaper route. I love some of the pricier conditioners but in the end it doesn't make sense to my budget so I splurge when I feel like it but stick to the basics most of the time.

Deep Conditioner:
Styling Aides for Curl Definition:
Styling Aides for Hair Styles (braids, twists, twist outs, etc):
Moisturizer:

*Summer Hair Care                      
Summer is not kind to Miss A's hair. Between the chlorine and the sand at the beach, we're almost asking for a disaster! Don't let the picture fool you, she rarely wears her hair out when we hit the water.

Swimming Routine:

  • Rinse hair with water and apply a light leave-in or whatever conditioner I have on hand. Coat the strands of hair with the conditioner and leave it in. Apply extra virgin coconut or olive oil on top of the conditioner (optional).
  • Put the hair up into a high ponytail or bun with ends tucked under.
  • Braids & Cornrows hold up very well for Miss A in the water so try to incorporate those during most of the Summer months.
  • Cowash (washing the hair with conditioner only) after each swim. Leave the conditioner in for at least 10 minutes before rinsing. Continue shampooing once a week unless I feel it is necessary to shampoo more often.
  • Apply Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer to hair. Focus on ends, nape and edges. Seal with Extra Virgin Coconut or Olive Oil.
If sand is involved I will have her wear a loose style and completely wash (shampoo, condition, detangle) her hair once we get home. We went to the beach in Texas and her hair was in a protective style (cornrows on top, large two strand twists in the back) and the sand got all up in her twists. I don't like two strand twists at all for the water anyway, they tangle too easily.

We don't use swim caps. No real reason or explanation, we just don't.

Don't forget to apply sunscreen to your child's scalp if they are wearing a style that shows a lot of their scalp such as cornrows. Just apply a little sunscreen to the q-tip and apply directly to the scalp in each part. We don't want our babies to have a sunburned scalp! No bueno.


Will be adding a little more information soon! Thanks for stopping by!

Don't forget to "LIKE" us on Facebook!

*Pictures                                           
More hair pictures:

Curls with Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer










STILL UPDATING. Please continue to check back! Thanks!


37 comments :

  1. Her hair is gorgeous! Great routine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do u use for a deep conditioner and how often do u deep condition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite part:
    Moisturizer:
    Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer
    ** No others compare for me, sorry!**

    great explanation as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Thanks for all the hair care advice. I plan on buying some BeeMine products right now!!! My youngest daughter has curly hair, so I will be using this for her, and TRYING it on her older sisters hair (just because lol). They have totally different hair textures, but I just want to see what it will do for her. I have been struggling with keeping the FRIZZ in hairstyles down. We usually do hair EVERYDAY around here...ahh!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank-you SO MUCH for sharing this!! I am going to stock up on these products hopefully soon & begin the change on my daughters hair. She's been wanting to wear her hair down...now i can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. **GOING CRAZY** Lovin this update!! Pics are AWESOME!!! WHEW! that is some HAIR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So a cheap drugstore conditioner is fine for detangling? Cool! I use the KC Come Clean and Knot Today and olive oil to keep my daughter's scalp moisturized and flake free. Olive oil works wonders for the ends of the hair as well. Thank you so much for sharing... Can't wait to try the Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for updating, Miss A has beautiful hair and luscious curls! How often do you style her hair with the new regimen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has really made me realize that I haven't been treating my daughter's hair as gently as I should be :( she already has very long, thick, hair... but just imagine what it would be like if I took better care of it! :) thanks so much four the info!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We actually did the same thing. I shampoo my hair once a week and then condition it. Because too much shampoo can cause your hair to damage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. her little face is changing! and all that hair. gorgeous girl

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is such a beautiful little girl! I love the fact that you take the time and put in a lot of effort to do her hair and take care of it properly. I believe that mothers(and fathers!) who constantly instill a belief of self love in their child will give their child the skills they need to survive in a world that tells them that they need to change themselves so that they are acceptable to others. I also believe that if a child is taught that his or her hair is beautiful in its natural state, and is properly cared for the way it is naturally,they will be less likely to want to alter it with chemicals when they become older. She is growing up and looking more beautiful every day. I pray that she grows up and continues to love herself just the way she is,and has a beautiful relationship with God :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just can't get over how much beautiful hair she has!!! Wow!! My 7 yr old ET daughter wants long hair like mine ( even tho Im caucasian) so this gives me inspiration!!! I still prefer the ACV rinse instead of shampoo for my daughter's hair because she gets really flaky scalp!! I will have to try the bee mine moisturizer tho!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How has she been feeling lately? Great routine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoy reading your blog. Keep it up
    Big up from Jamaica

    ReplyDelete
  16. Belinda40_taylor@yahoo.comJune 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

    Thanks so much for the infomation my daugther (8yrs old) has seen the pictures of Miss A hair and she wants me to buy the Bee Mine produts so I wil buy the products. My only problem ive had is the tangling and her hair being dry the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What is your take/experience with ACV? Also, when you rinse out the inexpensive conditioner, should you run through with another conditioner like Giovanni or leave-in like Wen? In addition, when I twist, braid, or cornrow my daughter's hair, it lasts no more than a week due to frizz. I recently tried Happy Nappy, ecostyler gel but no luck. How do you combat this?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have you tried both scents of the Bee Mine Moisturizer? If so, which is better?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was an awesome post. Thanks for your time and effort, I have learned lots! You are super talented.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to thank you for the work that you have done on this blog. You have assisted me with improving the condition of my daughters hair. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was an AMAZING and VERY detailed update of her routine! Thank you SO much for taking the time to do this for us. I can only imagine how long it must have taken you.

    Great post and great pictures! Thank you ;)

    -Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  22. She looks so much prettier (and I already thought she was really pretty). :)
    Her hair looks so gorgeous! :)

    Nice pictures!
    And, I think I'm going to give some of those products you mentioned a try some time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Miss A is so cute. Super Duper Cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is very helpful. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for these great tips!
    Your daughter's hair is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love, love, love this post! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE THIS WEBSITE! I wish I would have discovered it years ago lol....Thanks for the great tips! I just bought the kinky curly curling custard for my 6 yr old and I cant wait to try it. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for this! I am always looking for ways to improve on caring for my little ones locks. Dryness is usually the problem so I'm always on the hunt for the best conditioner.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks a lot for this post. I have a question and a remark :
    Question: do you wash A's hair when the hair is free (and if yes : doesn't it add tangles ??) or when it is in twists / braids (to avoid tangling) ?
    Remark: I use the Bee mine beautiful deep conditioner to detangle : it has a lot of slip and since the detangling process can be quite long, the product sits in her hair for a while.

    Christelle (from France, sorry for my english...)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing this info.
    Question:

    Do you deep condition Miss A's hair?
    Also, do you pre-poo?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your baby and her hair is just beautiful!#

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your daughter is so beautiful. She could easily go far in pageantry or modeling. I am trying to go natural so thank you so much for all the wonderful tips and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi. This has been the most insightfuly site I've seen so far, except that I have one question, do these regimens and products work for grown people? I am 28 years old and have been natural for 7 years. I have 3 different curl patterns and my hair is pretty thick and long (although not as plentiful and beautiful as your adorable daughter.) I use the KCCC for twist outs but am afraid to wear my wash and go curls because of the humidity and rain here in south Mississippi (which is another reason I don't get pressed as much). I am also quite active and would love protective styles, but I don't want to look 12 as I am already mistaken for one of the students in the university where I work. Any suggestions or does age matter?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your website!! 've tried to purchase the Bee Mine products, but they always seems to be on back order. however, do you ever trim miss A. ends??

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.