Friday, May 21, 2010

Protective Styling Challenge: Update #2

Photobucket

Bee Mine

The Prize:
The winner of the One Month Protective Styling Challenge will receive 4 (Yes, FOUR!) full size Bee Mine Products of YOUR choice!

Incase you need a reminder of how much we love these products click here and here.

Click *here* to see our introduction post along with our plans of action.

Click *here* Update #1

Photobucket

The owner of Bee Mine Products and I will choose the winner based on:
  • How well you follow the rules
  • How well your overall plan of action sounds
  • & Being creative doesn't hurt!

Of course, you must do our weekly check-in's and include a picture. 'A' will not be eligible for the prize.

Photobucket

Protective style & Update picture:
Photobucket

Name: A

What was your protective style of choice for week 2? Box Braids

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes

How did your child's new style hold up for the week? A's box braids held up very well for the first week.

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? No she will continue to wear the same box braids. We will switch up the box braids for different looks though.

Other: We are still using BeeMine Products, they work very well for her protective styles.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Name: Shelby

For week two:
"since taking down her twists, she wore her hair "out" over the weekend then in 3 banded pig tails then last night I put it in about 6 big plaits and she slept in that and wore it all today until tonight I put it in box braids. I lathered up each braid with Miss Jessie's baby butter cream. I plan on leaving this style in until Sunday. She has a dance recital and has to wear her hair 1/2 up 1/2 down. "

Photobucket

Protective Style:
Photobucket

Name: Simara W.

What was your protective style of choice for week 2? For the second week of the protective style challenge, I did side cornrows in the front and box braids in the back on Simara's hair.

Have you been following the rules? We followed the rules :)

Have you stuck with your plan of action? I stuck with our plan of action, moisturizing with Carol's Daughter Hair Milk and sealing with Jane carter Nourish and Shine twice a day. She got a shampoo wash with Curly Q's Cream Cleanser on Sunday (she really needed it because we skipped it last week).

How did your child's new style hold up for the week? It held up very well. It frizzed a little after playing hard at school, so I redid most of the braids on Wednesday, and then it lasted through Sunday, just in time for the next week

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? Yes, I will be restyling for week 3. Small box braids all over.

Other: I am still enjoying this challenge!!!

Photobucket

Protective style & Update:
Photobucket

Name: TK

What was your protective style of choice for week 2? This week we did 2strand twists. (May 7)

Have you been following the rules? Yes, still loving the quick early morning shake, spritz, and go routine! And TK likes having her hair down. Usually if I had put her in hair in twists they'd be pulled back in a ponytail to keep people's hands out of her hair.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes, but I've added a new step =] I read one of the other plans of actions about massaging the scalp and I really like that idea. We pay attention to the scalp, but not nearly as much as we do to the hair. So this week right before I moisturize her ends, we've been doing daily massaging of the scalp with EVOO and she looooooooooovvvvveeeessss the massages.

How did your child's style hold up for the week? Great! With exception to having to retwist some on Wednesday, 2strand twists are really the way to go with her and the regular moisturizing of her ends worked wonders. Might have to really attribute that to doubling up--she had her satin scarf on, plus her satin pillowcase just in case. (May 15)

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? Yes, still going with our weekly cowashes and for next week she'll have a combo of cornrows into 2strand twists and medium plaits just to try to stick with low-manipulation and styles that will really hold the moisture. I think plaits/braids do a better job of that than twists.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket
Name: KeAirah

What was your protective style of choice for week 2? She wore braids.

Have you been following the rules? Yes, we have been following the rules.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes, our plan of action is still the same.

How did your child's style hold up for the week? Her style held up very well. We put coconut oil on her scalp, Darcy's Madagascar Styling Creme on her ends, and her moisture spray over her whole head. Then tied on her durag. On Thursday I washed her hair and gave her some big plaits until I could do her hair over the weekend.

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? Yes, I will be restyling. She's getting box braids.

Photobucket

Protective style & Update pictures:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Name: Ray (see Ray and her mommy's blog here.)

What was your protective style of choice for week 2? This week was french braids. 2days with 2 french braids and the rest of the week with zig-zag french braids.

Have you been following the rules? Yes, no elastic rubber-bands, and no deeds, only ouchless holders.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes. I moisturized the braids maybe once a day. This week was easier to maintain.

How did your child's style hold up for the week? We changed the style in day 2 we kept the french braid concept, but we changed it. She was getting too may fuzzies.

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? She asked for Puffs. (http://mylittlerascals-letty.blogspot.com/2010/03/little-puffs.html)

Other: I just received Bee Mine products and I plan using them for week 3.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Name: Makena

What was your protective style of choice? Box braids, twisted at the ends

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? This week I decided to moisturize with water mixed with a little Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner. Also, I sealed with Qhemet Biologics Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm after wetting it with the water bottle mix. LOVED THE WAY THIS FEELS the next day!

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? No re-styling, we just washed as planned with Oyin Honey Wash, conditioned with the water bottle mix, and sealed. Then I braided groups of the box braids (about 8 sections total). The next day we took out for a crinkly braided look. I rebraid the sections nightly (about 10 min total) and re-seal w/ the OHHB every other day, and she ties it up nightly w/ a satin scarf.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Update:
Photobucket

Name: Laverius

What was your protective style of choice for week 2? More Simple Braids

Have you been following the rules? Yes we have

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes and no. Yes- had to shampoo and condition Laverius hair with Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo and Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner as well as Giovanni Direct Leave In conditioner instead of cowashing with Vo5 moisturizing cinditioner because Laverius decided to make it rain sand in the backyard in his sandbox. Thank goodness, we were able to get it out. No- due to more simple braids straight to the back, we still moisturized daily with Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Finishing mist everyday instead of every two to three days as our initial plan called for. But hey, change sometimes is good when change is for the best, as well as he continues to sleep in his satin bonnet. I also decided to go with simple braids again because they were quick due to scheduling, so I know these won't last two weeks because I don't braid his hair in tight styles thinking this is the best way to make them last. He's a kid and he plays alot so I know the simple braids aren't going to last two weeks because they are big braids.

How did your child's style hold up for the week? Good, He slept with his satin bonnet on, which helped alot.

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? Yes. More simple braids.

Other: Hopefully by week four, after cowashing he can get some layers and keep the protective styles going longer. As I stated in his Littlemans Lounge he only gets his hair braided 2 to 3 times a year, so this has been a great challenge for us both.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Update:
Photobucket

Name: Anisa

What was your protective style of choice for week 2? Box braids and cornrows

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes, but I did begin to use a couple of different products such as Carol's Daughter Loc Butter and Shea Moisture Hold and Shine Moisture Mist

How did your child's style hold up for the week? Pretty good. My original plan was to keep the style for at least a week and a half but I only left it in for 7 days.

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? Yes, she will have box braids without cornrows.

Other: Anisa was determined to have some hearts so I did this style. She is obsessed with the hearts! Lol!! When I took her previous style down, I washed her hair using Deva Curl No-Poo, massaged her scalp, detangled, and applied Giovanni Direct Leave-In. I put her hair in about 8 ponytails without bands and left it like that for a day. I did this style the following day. While braiding her hair, I used Carol's Daughter Loc Butter. I will moisturize her hair with Carol's Daughter Hair Milk and I will spray her hair with Shea Moisture Hold and Shine Moisture Mist.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Name: Evelyn

What was your protective style of choice for week 2? Two strand Twist

Have you been following the rules? yes i have

Have you stuck with your plan of action? i have kept to my same plan of action

How did your child's style hold up for the week? her hair held up pretty well for another week, i could go another but i want to change it up

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? i do plan on restyleing her hair for next week, i plan on doing cornrows into a puff ( i love puffs)- this would be my first time trying to style her hair that way but i just looovve puffs!!

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Update:
Photobucket

Name: Aliana

What was your protective style of choice for week 2? Bantu knots & a knot out!!

Have you been following the rules? but of course!

Have you stuck with your plan of action? As far as keeping it moisturized & protected yes, but I did have to modify it as the twists didn't stay in as long as I hoped. So Day 1 of Week 2 she still had twist out, that night I did a good washing & conditioning/moisturizing (with same products from plan/week 1). Then after bath time we watched a youtube together of how to do bantu knots. This was VERY helpful for my lil one as she HATES getting her hair done but when I stood her in front of the mirror & told her we were gonna do her hair like the lady in the movie, she magically wanted to do everything the lady did. She actually stood still and tried helping me!! We did 6 bantu knots & moisturized each day. Those stayed in for 4 days. Then Day 6 I took knots out (for the knot out).

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? Fairly well, I re-knotted them 3 times just because they got frizzy & loose. But since my daughter was cooperative, it didn't take too much time to re-knot & moisturize them.

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? Yes, not sure possibly box braids or curlformers.

Other: I really liked the bantu knots as they were simple & stayed fairly well. I also liked the beautiful fullness & volume they gave to her hair in the knot out style! Lovely! This style challenge is proving to be very challenging but I'm loving it as I am pushing the boundaries that I hadn't before on her hair & I'm glad, so thank you!!
Product update: I'm definitely disappointed in the Lavish Curls as I was hoping to just spray down her hair with this product. But instead of spraying a mist, it's more like a beam that shoots out & covers about the size of a pea! So I had to spray it into my hands & rub in, which kind of defeats the purpose of the spray bottle!

Photobucket

Protective style updates:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Names: Miss Priss & The Artist

"Their styles were held over from the first week. Braids straight to the back for The Artist and twists with a braided base for Ms. Priss.
We followed the rules, not using any beads, barettes, or hair ponys.
We also stuck with our original plan of action, oiling the hair with JBCO twice a week, spritzing with water and using Qhemet's AOHC and a shea butter mixture.
Their styles did not do very well this week. I see that I will not be able to let their styles go for past a week.
We will be restyling this week. Ms. Priss wore a twist out to school yesterday, but both girls will be getting washed, dc'd and restyled today.
The pics are their styles at the end of week 2, and Ms. Priss with the twist out she wore to school yesterday.
Will keep you posted."

Photobucket

Protective style & update:
Photobucket
Name: Jaliyah

What was your protective style of choice for week 2? Box Braids

Have you been following the rules? O yes!

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes haven't changed a thing.

How did your child's style hold up for the week? It held up wonderful. I styled it on Saturday and I didn't have to take it out untill Friday night. I didn't even have to do touch ups. Just moisturized twice a day.

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? Yes I'm going to restyle. I washed her hair Sat. night and I am going to do half loose cornrows with box braids in the back.

Photobucket

Protective styles & updates:
Photobucket

Name: Joeliana and Alia

What was your protective style of choice? For Joeliana - I am going to leave her small corn rows in till later this week. I "washed" her hair with only conditioner this week. Her cornrows are holding up well and her scalp looks great. For Alia - she is still have some scalp dryness and sores, so I took out her loose twist, washed and braided her hair in loose box braids with my ABSOLUTE new favorite moisturizer by Bee Mine. I have also been using the Bee Mine hair spray and the girls love it and ask for the "bee spray". Also, in the middle of the week I put coconut oil on their scalps and braids.

Have you been following the rules? yes. I like knowing "what" I'm doing each day with the girls hair. This is helping me get a schedule in place. I have also been moisturizing my boys hair better than I was before.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? yes

How did your child's style hold up for the week? Joeliana's is holding up well. I will re-braid any parts that I need to during the week with Alia.

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? Joeliana - yes...probably box braids. Alia's will stay in the loose braids for this week at least.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Update:
Photobucket

Name: Patience

What was your protective style of choice for week 2? I did do two french braids for the first half of the week (Sun-Wed) because of finals. But today (Thursday) I put them into box braids for the rest of the week and weekend. If they hold up we may keep them in until the end of the challenge and just wash them every week.

Have you been following the rules? of course we have....I am enjoying not using any accessories in her hair. It's amazing how creative you have to be.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? I just received my Bee Mine products in the mail last weekend and I was too excited to use them. I washed her hair on Sunday with the Peppermint & Tea Tree Nourishing Shampoo and conditioned with the Avocado Cream Balanced Conditioner. I used the Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer (WHICH I LOVE!!) to moisturize her hair. Every morning I use the Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer to keep her hair moist (especially her ends) and spray with Juicy Moisturizing Daily Spritz. So far so good.

How did your child's style hold up for the week? Her first style went frizzy within the four days it was in and I couldn't wait to dedicate some time to really style it. Now she has in the box braids and they should hold up very well since they usually last 3-4 weeks.

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? I am not sure if I will be restyling next week since I just put in the box braids. We will be swimming this weekend so I am definitely going to wash...we will see.


____________________________

I love all of these styles! You are all doing a great job! Hang in there, we'll almost done. I'm really enjoying the challenge and I hope you all are as well.

Thanks again to everyone who signed their child(ren) up. Also big thanks to Bee Mine Products for being so generous with your giveaway!


___________________________

Please go ahead and email me your child's next protective style picture. If you did not restyle please send me what their previous style looks like the weekend of May 21st. Also email me by May 23rd a recently updated picture (preferably taken the weekend of May 21st-May 23rd) of your child's new protective style to show how it is holding up. Subject: Protective Styling Challenge Week 3

beadsbraidsbeyond@yahoo.com


Answer the following questions in your email: (highlight, press CTRL + C on your keyboard, and paste in email)

Name:
What was your protective style of choice for week 3? (if you did not restyle, let me know what last weeks style was)
Have you been following the rules?
Have you stuck with your plan of action? (if you changed anything let us know)
How did your child's style hold up for the week? (if you did not restyle, let me know how their previous style is holding up)
Do you plan on restyling for week 4? (if so, what do you plan on doing?)
Other: (optional)

If you switch up the style by doing a ponytail or pigtails or anything, feel free to send those pictures in as well.


I look forward to hearing from you all soon! Happy Styling!

14 comments :

  1. I'm stealing Ray's second look. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!!! I am really enjoying the challenge. I'm finding out just how creative I can be without using all of the added extras. All of the kids look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cute and cute. I'm enjoying the challenge as well. When I said simple..I didn't think the styles would be that simple. He has an Eddie in the front so I didn't want to put to much stress on that area by splitting that section apart, so we kept it braided together but loosely. Braiding simple/big helps keep the hair from being braided tight and that's why we chose that route for awhile and it helped. Thank Nikki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaliyah is so little. But so cute. She reminds me when my baby was little (Ray)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, everyone is doing great! and im thinking of trying Ray's second look. its soo cute =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the kiddies and styles look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Little bae bae's braid parts are sooo neat...I could never accomplish that lol. Good work Dimples! All the girls look lovely. Keep it up mamas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone is doing a fantastic job on their kids hair! I love all the different styles too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everbody looks great ;) Hopefully you'll have another one in the future, I might just enter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. im really feeling inspired reading all of these and looking at the results.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eveyones hair looks so great and healthy. Thanks Letty I think my Jaliyah is cute too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful site, with so many great ideas. I want my daughter to grow up loving her beautiful hair. I can't wait to try several of the ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ALL the pictures are just so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.