Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Protective Styling Challenge: Update #1

Photobucket

Bee Mine

The Prize:
The winner of the One Month Protective Styling Challenge will receive 4 (Yes, FOUR!) full size Bee Mine Products of YOUR choice!

Incase you need a reminder of how much we love these products click here and here.

Click *here* to see our introduction post along with our plans of action.

Photobucket

The owner of Bee Mine Products and I will choose the winner based on:
  • How well you follow the rules
  • How well your overall plan of action sounds
  • & Being creative doesn't hurt!

Of course, you must do our weekly check-in's and include a picture. 'A' will not be eligible for the prize.

Photobucket

Protective style & Update picture:
Photobucket

Name: A

What was your protective style of choice? Side cornrows into sister twists

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes. We are still using (and LOVING!) Bee Mine Products.

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? A's style held up well. She got her twists wet several times during the week while she bathed so they could have held up better but overall I was pleased! They lasted 7 days.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? Yes, restyling in box braids.

Other: I have been really amazed with how moisturized A's hair feels since using Bee Mine Products. I really love the Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer. Also, I have come to terms that I cannot leave A's hair in twists for over 1 week. Cornrows/box braids seem to work best in her hair when protective styling.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Update:
Photobucket

Name: Shelby

What was your protective style of choice? Two strand twists

Have you been following the rules? yes, no elastic rubber bands/beads/barretes etc

Have you stuck with your plan of action? As far as the style yes, but I have used different hair products by Deva Curl.

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? I had to apply product daily and retwist about every other day, when she slept, some of the twists ended up looking like little antennas when she woke up lol, so we have to tame those twists :)

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? yes, I took the twists out thursday of last week and she work a twist out for the weekend with the from pulled back with a bow. Last night ( monday, we cowashed with Deva Curl one condition and I applied Miss Jessies baby butter cream, parted her hair in 3 sections and did to pig tails up front and one in the back. I then banded her little piggies to help strech her short hair as she has a recital coming up with reheasal this weekend and the hair is supposed to be half up half down....will keep you posted.

Photobucket

Protective Style:
Photobucket

Name: Simara W.

What was your protective style of choice? For the first week of the protective style challenge, I did simple box braids on Simara's hair.

Have you been following the rules? We followed the rules :)

Have you stuck with your plan of action? I stuck with our plan of action, but on Thursday I cowashed her using Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration because she had some buildup/sand in the hair. Because the cowash cleansed her hair and scalp really well, I didn't feel the need to shampoo her today (on Sunday), but she will most definitely need to be shampooed next Sunday.

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? It held up very well. I was surprised because her hair is very fine and frizzes easily. I only had to retouch a few braids on Wednesday. After her cowash, the braids lasted through the weekend until I redid her style on Sunday.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? Yes, I will be restyling for week 2. We did a take on one of the styles you did for A earlier this year: box braids in the back and side cornrows in front.

Other: I really enjoyed the first week of the challenge. I was tempted to put barrettes and everything else in Simara's hair on Saturday, but this challenge has forced me to rethink how I style her hair without the use of all the accessories. Sometimes, less is more and I'm finding that with this challenge I can truly appreciate her hair without any added extras :)

Photobucket

Protective styles:
Photobucket

Names: Ilana and Hannah

"Here are Ilana and Hannah's protective styles. Ilana loves her mohawks so I decided to just do for both of them plus it is a quick style. Ilana's hair has been up for a week now and I just freshened her twists today, Hannah's hair has been up for two days. Every morning they get a fresh spritz of the Jessicurl spray. I am not for taking down hair every week or two, that is just to much work for me so this will last 4 weeks before I actually take it down."

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Update:
Photobucket

Name: TK

What was your protective style of choice? For Week 1, I ended up with 5 cornrowed plaits. I was a little afraid of how they'd hold up throughout the week considering when she's at school she doesn't nap with her scarf or bonnet on. But, I love the plaits because I wanted something that required low manipulation (something very simple and quick, no touching-up) and would really hold the moisture. Her hair is still damp in the pictures so the cornrows look tighter than they really were.

Have you been following the rules? So far so good. At first I thought it'd be unbearable to eliminate the barrettes and bubbles, but definitely wasn't. Plus, I've saved us so much get-ready time in the am (no daily styling, touching-up, or accessorizing) and I'm loving the idea of no hair accessories because I love seeing her hair sans the embellishments.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yea, that's been easy because my plan of action is pretty much my normal regimen for her with exception of the no hair accessories and the low manipulation styles. I'm big on moisture because it gives her hair elasticity that reduces breakage. Only thing is I haven't been able to figure out a way to tuck her ends and keep them tucked without using anything not allowed so I paid particular attention to her ends and how they were holding up since her ends usually have the most havoc to deal with. I moisturized them nightly. That's something I hadn't originally mentioned.

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? Well they held up in the sense that, her ends did great, but by Friday her hair was definitely asking for some attention.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? Yes, TK's hair loves her weekly co-washes so I'm sticking with that. And following our plan of action, 2 strand twists.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket
Name: KeAirah

What was your protective style of choice? Box Braids

Have you been following the rules? Yes, she actually started wearing the braids the week before the challenge started and continued to wear them last week.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Didn't change anything. I plan to send another email listing her products but I'm rushing to send this before leaving for church.

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? It held up really well. I had to redo some in the very back b/c her hair is so soft/fine back there.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? Yes, I will be braiding her hair tonight.

Photobucket

Protective style & Update picture:
Photobucket

Name: Ray (see Ray and her mommy's blog here.)

What was your protective style of choice? 2 strand Twist

Have you been following the rules? Yes I did not use beads or any elastics. I used goody (ouchless) no metal ponytail holders the last 2 days.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes. I conditioned her hair every day morning and after Quiet time (no nap for her anymore) I sprayed it with a mixture of Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier and a little coconut oil.

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? SHE LOVED IT. She said it was awesome. Specially during Ballet class her curls were all around bouncy and beautiful.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? Yes. On sunday I started with french braids. I might have to doit more than once a week but it does not take long.

Other: She has also been trying more of her old clip on bows and we are searching for ribbons. Not too obsessed with beads as she used to be. When she asked me why she could not have any beads I just told her that her hair needed to rest from the heavy beads and she asked no more questions.

Photobucket

Picture #1: Protective Style Picture #2: Bantu knot braids Picture #3 & 4: Results from bantu knots
Photobucket

Name: Makena

What was your protective style of choice? Box braids, twisted at the ends

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? The only change has been to use coconut oil (EVCO) alone instead of mixed w/ shea butter.
How did your child's style hold up for the first week? Just fine, I am especially pleased with the curls after using bantu knots.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? I plan to wash the bantu curls out, but leave the braids in and do something else with them...maybe buns or braided braids. We'll see.

We started with straight box braids, twisted at the ends.
To get the curly look, we used bantu knots for a few hours (to set: water, coconut oil, sunshine).
Theses curls have lasted the last 6 days and there are a couple of styles we have done with them (headband, side sweep w/ clip).

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Update:
Photobucket

Name: Laverius

What was your protective style of choice? Simple Braids

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? No. I decided to moisturize Bae Bae's hair everyday with the Wave Nouveau Fishing Mist instead. This is Laverius first time wearing his braids straight
back. So I was worried as to if his hair is getting enough moisture. As well as to have him sleep with his satin bonnet everynight..he's a wild sleeper.

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? Somewhat ok.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? Yes. I do plan on restyling his hair for week 2 because it's time for wash day as stated in his routine.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Name: Nylah

What was your protective style of choice? Two Strand Twist

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? I used Kinky Curly Tiny Twirls to set her style instead of Blended Cutie Down and Out Styles (the tiny twirls had better hold)

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? So far so good...

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? Yes, I think I may just wash, condition and detangle her hair and do the two strand twist again.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Update:
Photobucket

Name: Anisa

What was your protective style of choice? Cornrows and box braids

Have you been following the rules? Yes. I did not use any rubberbands, clips, or beads on her hair.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes. I haven't changed my plan of action.

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? Anisa's hair was very frizzy when she returned from her trip with her dad. I applied some coconut oil and braided her hair into 5 cornrows. This style helped to hide the frizz. I was also happy with the crinkly look of her hair when I took the braids down.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? Yes I will restyle her hair for week 2. She will still have cornrows and box braids (they will be in a different style).

Other: She sleeps with her hair in a satin bonnet each night.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Name: Evelyn

What was your protective style of choice? Two strand Twist

Have you been following the rules? yes i have, it was a challenge not you use my plastic bands but i went without it

Have you stuck with your plan of action? i have continued with the same plan of action except of leaving the big braids in her hair for two days, i just left them in for 1

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? Evelyn's hair does really well with two strand twist. her hair is tightly curled so braids and twist hold up for quite a while

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? for right now i plan on leaving the twist in for another week, but it depends on how her scalp feels, if it seems like it is beginning to itch, then i will take them out and probably do cornrows

Other: Evelyn suffered from an ear infection and a cold this week on top of that she developed a rash, so it was really difficult doing her hair because she was not feeling well. i was not able to style her twist as i wanted to because after i was done twisting it, she wouldn't let me put my hands back in it (lol). She is feeling a little better now and i may be able to style her hair later on this week. By the way she was not wanting to be photogenic this week

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Update:
Photobucket

Name: Aliana

What was your protective style of choice? Sister Twists

Have you been following the rules? yes!

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes & decided to try Curls for target Creme Brule as a daily leave in & Lavish Curls the as a daily moisturizer (I had Curly Q's Milkshake in past but ran out) & after quite a few hours, I got the Sister twists in (my daughter hates sitting still & getting her hair done)! To keep it simple I just used Twists & Locs Natural Honey Locking Formula (after a few days there was a little flakiness in her hair though).

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? Well after bath time on Day 2 a lot of her twists unraveled but I went with it & it was like a part twist out (a la Shirley Temple). Then on Day 4 I re-twisted it & set the ends with warm honey (any ideas on a good way to make the ends stay together??). On Day 6 I put her twists (unraveling again) in 2 loose ouchless pigtails. Day 7 just moisturized, twisted out whatever was left & threw a headband on her. Oh & each day I accessorized with a cute girly headband!

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? Definitely! I was hoping the twists would hold 2 weeks so....I'm thinking of trying some bantu knots & knot out or braids, we'll see.

Other: I cannot find a satin pillow case anywhere, so...I decided to make my own. Bought the fabric, now to the sewing machine...I'll keep you posted!

Photobucket

Protective styles:
Photobucket

Updates:
Photobucket

Names: Miss Priss

What was your protective style of choice? Twists with braided base

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Miss Priss had her hair oiled with Jamaican Black Castor Oil twice this week. I moisturized her hair by spritzing with water and a little Amla and olive heavy cream.

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? Her hair held up so well I'm going to try and keep it in till next Saturday and then wash.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? Yes

Name: The Artist

What was your protective style of choice? Braids going straight back

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes, The Artist got JBCO on her scalp twice this week as well, and spritz with water and AOHC

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? The Artist will have her braids in till next weekend as well. Her front edges always pull away from her braids so I may have to use a bit of aloe vera gel to hold them back. No other changes will be made though.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? Yes

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket
Name: Shiloh

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket
Name: Jaliyah

What was your protective style of choice? Tiny 2 strand twist

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Pretty much. Her twist got very fuzzy so Thursday night I took them out moisurized her hair and put in loose box braids whick are holding up very well.
How did your child's style hold up for the first week? Pretty good. It stayed for about 4 days whick is what we can usually get out of a style.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? Yes i'm going to do small box braids whick seem to hold better than the twist.


Photobucket

Protective styles:
Photobucket

Updates:
Photobucket

Name: Joeliana and Alia

What was your protective style of choice? Alia - loose twist. Joeliana-small cornrows

Have you been following the rules? yes, yesterday I put Alia's hair in two pony tails with the approved bands, other than that I have just let it hang in twist and re-twisted any that need it at night when I apply conditioner.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? yes

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? For both girls, very well.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? no, just re-twisting Alia's

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Update:
Photobucket

Name: Patience

What was your protective style of choice? This week I cornrowed the front of her hair and did two strand twists on her whole head.

Have you been following the rules? I definitely have, the only thing she wore on her head other than her hair was a headband.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? I have stuck with my original plan of action, just waiting on some products to come in the mail :).

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? This is the first time I have done two strand twists in her hair without using rubber bands at the root to hold it together and it went surprisingly well.I had to combine most of the twists in the back of her head because the hair is finer and looser than the rest and the twists were thinner (as you can see in the pictures). The twists now are of course frizzier and I have re-twisted only a few of them, but overall, I am very pleased at how well it still looks.

Do you plan on restyling for week 2? For week 2, I think I am going to do small box braids. Her box braids normally last about 2-3 weeks but I think I am only going to keep them in for a week and restyle for week 3.

____________________________

Fabulous job mommies! All of the protective styles came out so nice. I am still waiting to hear back from a few people so as soon as I do I will add them. In the mean time I wanted to let you all know that I have a couple of surprises at the end of the challenge so hang in there and keep up the great work!

Thanks again to everyone who signed their child(ren) up. Also big thanks to Bee Mine Products for being so generous with your giveaway!


___________________________

I had to quote Angela (Simara's mommy) because I absolutely love this:

"Sometimes, less is more and I'm finding that with this challenge I can truly appreciate her hair without any added extras :)"


___________________________

Please go ahead and email me your child's next protective style picture. If you did not restyle please send me what their previous style looks like the weekend of May 16th. Also email me by May 16th a recently updated picture (preferably taken the weekend of May 14th-May 16th) of your child's new protective style to show how it is holding up. Subject: Protective Styling Challenge Week 2

beadsbraidsbeyond@yahoo.com


Answer the following questions in your email: (highlight, press CTRL + C on your keyboard, and paste in email)

Name:
What was your protective style of choice for week 2? (if you did not restyle, let me know what last weeks style was)
Have you been following the rules?
Have you stuck with your plan of action? (if you changed anything let us know)
How did your child's new style hold up for the week? (if you did not restyle, let me know how their previous style is holding up)
Do you plan on restyling for week 3? (if so, what do you plan on doing?)
Other: (optional)

If you switch up the style by doing a ponytail or pigtails or anything, feel free to send those pictures in as well.


I look forward to hearing from you all soon! Happy Styling!

17 comments :

  1. Stunned by the beauty and beautiful hair of all these kids!!!
    I've been following along with the protective styling challenge for my daughter. We've done little sister twists, small box braids, and now we're working on teeny tiny braids gathered into cloth banded pig tails.
    I was always convinced that I had to band the ends of her hair to get it to hold, but I've found that all sizes of braids do very well on their own. (not so much for twists).
    Mostly, it's been way more fun than I thought getting used to seeing her head of hair without accessories everywhere---thought it would be boring, but we are loving it.

    Thanks for showing off all you gorgeous kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the progress!! I can't wait for the next update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Everyone did an excellent job!! What an inspiration too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats and Good Luck to all the moms who entered the Protective Styling challenge, I think it is great to keep your childrens hair healthy and maintain it with protective styling. The progrss is great, I see the twist are a big hit, can't wait to see more updates. keep up the good works ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the protective styling on such beautiful children. Good job mommies.

    @ Nik G

    I already sent in Bae Bae's protective styling pic for week 2 but the subject I typed in was protective styling challenge week 2 instead of week 1. I just read this post and it says the subject should be protective styling challege week 1... Should I resend or keep the email as us? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved seeing all of the kiddos with their protective styles. Looks like the twists were pretty popular. Great job mommies and kids!! I look forward to next week's update. You are all winners to me :)

    @ Nik G:

    Lol at you quoting me :) This challenge has just been wonderful and eye-opening. I'm so glad that I decided to participate because I'm learning so much about my daughter's hair and really seeing that protective styling doesn't have to be boring or ugly! Thank you so much for your blog and the time/effort that you put into it. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your welcome Nikki.. I didn't want to email the wrong information.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the PSing is just beautiful.

    Winona

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, my goodness. such beautiful girls and hair. puts a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @KeAirah Mom:

    My baby has that dress (on the doll) and the dress that matches her. She saw the picture and was like" MOm look I have that". Cute baby.

    @ all the moms: woooow thanx 4 the inspiration love those hair styles, and smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ordered some Bee Mine Products and they just got here. I will use them for week 3. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW. everybody is doing great! the children are soo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Joeliana's small cornrowed style!

    ReplyDelete
  15. all of thoese beautiful babies it so nice to see moms and dad's take care and pride in ther childrens hair

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.