Monday, May 31, 2010

Chunky Two Strand Twist Swimming Update

Photobucket

After 6-7 times swimming in the pool last week, A's Chunky Two Strand Twists did not do too well. The first picture above is what her twists looked like yesterday, they were quite frizzy and several twists unraveled. The second picture is what her hair looked like when I took the twists out and slightly detangled with my fingers. After detangling I put her hair in 4 large, loose single braids to prepare for washing. I was supposed to wash her hair earlier today but she ended up going swimming before I got a chance.

As you can see in the picture below, her big loose braids all came undone. lol She actually still had one braid in the back that didn't come all the way undone.

Photobucket


After she was done swimming I:
  • Rinsed her hair with water and washed her scalp with Bee Mine Shampoo (our weekly shampoo wash)
  • After washing her scalp and rinsing the shampoo I took about three handfuls of Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner and loaded her hair up with it.
  • I left the conditioner in and we headed upstairs so I could finger detangle her hair. Her hair was quite tangled from swimming with it all out so it took about 30 minutes to completely finger detangle her hair. When I finger detangle her hair I first gently run my fingers through her hair to remove any big knots/tangles, I then section her hair into four sections and work on each section. I take about an inch of hair in each section, smooth the conditioner over her (wet) hair, and start to gently pull apart each curl "clump" that has wrapped around another curl. I then smooth my fingers over the section again, if it feels smooth I move on to the next, if I feel a knot/tangle or "lump" I continue to separate the curls. I am very gentle when I do this. When I come across a knot/tangle and it does not easily glide apart I will stop, pick up only that section, and gently pull the hair in an up and downward motion until it comes apart.
  • After finger detangling each section I braided it up (conditioner still in) and placed a plastic cap over her hair. She took a nap so she has had the conditioner in for about 2 hours. I will be rinsing very soo then moisturizing her hair with Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer then banding in about 4 sections with ouchless bands for the night.

It looks like we will be swimming a lot this Summer. Probably every day or every other day. Twists are obviously not our swimming friends. lol I think I will be restyling her hair tomorrow in some type of braids.

What's going on with your childs hair lately?

15 comments :

  1. Thanks for this post! I have been helping my brother out by doing my neice's hair (she also swims alot). Right now I have her hair in box braids. I'll see how well they hold up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post came right on time. Simara just started getting in the pool this weekend and this is helpful for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swimming tips are great and just what I've been needing. and Nikki I've been doing the finger detangle method in my hair as well as my daughter's and it really works! (especially in my hair, can definately tell the difference)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter is actually in twists right now too, but she's still in school - so no swimming yet. But she did the sprinkler this weekend and a couple came loose. I'll probably be doing braids a lot this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you shampoo after she swims every time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @honor22, No. This was our weekly shampoo wash. I usually cowash with conditioner after she swims.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, my. swimming is tough on fragile hair. it is the one reason many black women my age only went to the pool a few times as a child. condition, condition, condition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just popping in to say I'm a little envious you have weather warm enough for swimming. We still have the heat on at out house. It's been like perpetual Autumn for months. :(

    I've found Lycra swim caps really do help preserve styles, but they are bathing suit material so they don't keep water off the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinkinG about just letting Kimora stay loose when she gets in the water load it up with conditiner before she gets n.. It's been soo humid NYC... Kimora been wearing banded ponytails and the time I pick her up the top of her hair is totally frizz out and poofed omgp

    ReplyDelete
  11. All that beautiful thich hair...just beautiful.

    A looks like a big big girl in the pool.....she does not look like she's 4 years old. Babies grow up so quick....:(

    ReplyDelete
  12. A looks so grown in that photo of her in the pool.. her hair is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the swimming update. My daughters father took her swimming this week and when I went to pick her up it was a mess, dried out, uncombed and everywhere! It took me 45+ minutes to detangle it. Next time I will follow the instuctions above :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww what a beautifull hair, and it's so long! :)
    Thank u for the tips.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.