Monday, May 17, 2010

Braided Box Braids for the Curly Look

As you may know, I planned on leaving A's natural box braids in for at least 2 weeks. Click *here* to see the orignal box braid post (along with pictures and other info). It has been just over 1 week now and they are still going strong! They were frizzy, of course, but that's not a big deal.

Photobucket
(Week old) Wet box braids after washing


Sunday night we did the following:
  • Washed her scalp with Bee Mine Peppermint & Tea Tree Nourishing Shampoo. When washing braids, you want to gently massage the shampoo on the scalp with the balls of your fingertips. Don't rush, and definitely don't use your fingernails- that will only cause more frizz.
  • After rinsing the shampoo, I applied a generous amount of Bee Mine Avoacado Cream Balanced Conditioner, focusing on the ends of her braids. I left the conditioner in for between 5-7 minutes and rinsed.
  • I decided to braid up her box braids to get the curly/crinkly look. I applied Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer to A's (wet) box braids, focusing on her ends. I then applied a little Extra Virgin Coconut Oil to her braids- once again, focusing on her ends (Can you tell ends are important? They are the oldest part of the hair so they definitely need proper moisture and extra TLC!) Afterwards I massaged a little Bee Loved Hair & Scalp Moisturizer on her scalp.
  • After applying the above products, I applied a little Bee Hold Curly Butter to her hair for extra hold then I took several braids at a time and braided them into one big braid. I think she had a total of 10 single braided box braids all over.
  • We put on her satin bonnet and it was time for bed. In the morning I unraveled all of the single braids and she had an adorable curly/crinkly braided look.


Photobucket
About 10 braided up box braids

The Results:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I know you read in *this* post that I believe box braids are very versatile. They are super cute and can very easily be transformed. I will be posting a few other things we do this week with her week old box braids. :)

23 comments :

  1. This is a GREAT look and extension to a style!! Fab job, like always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too cute! the braids look amazing curly =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did my daughter's hair the exact same way earlier this week. She's only two, so her hair isn't as long as A's, but I just love it. It's so easy to care for. Even though it took me about 3 hours to do! Hopefully I'll be better at it by the time her hair is as long as A's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like. Yes box braids are Versatile. Good job Nikki.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job...I just learned something new too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! Her hair looks very healthy! I currently have my 21mo daughter in box braids with cornrows in the front and I love them. They hold well and are versatile for styling. I know we'll be doing a lot of these in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. um, will you come over to my house and do my hair? i'll sit still. i promise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow i love this style....it looks really good and is better than normal straight box braids..keep up the good work..x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am feeling this one! Kurly T's hair is way shorter than A's but we might have to try this out. I have tried banding her hair after washing and it helps a lot with the curls fighting out of the braids. Thanks for the tip mama!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great hairstyle!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable...when my little ones braids have been in awhile I am going to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This will be my next week protective style

    ReplyDelete
  14. The curly look is really nice and the wet braids look like a great wash 'n' go style

    ReplyDelete
  15. super cute.. i love how that turned out

    ReplyDelete
  16. This style is amazing.
    Your daughter got a very beautifull long hair.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am absolutely amazed at your creativity. Everything has been mind blowingly beautiful and well done. I would have never thought to do half the things I've seen here. Thank you for posting your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I MAY TRY THIS ON MY DAUGHTER HOW LONG DID THIS ONE TAKE I HOPE NOT 4 HOURS?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thiss is BEAUTIFUL I love it!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.